77 thoughts on “Film 2: Dangle

1. I think it was like if the guy had pulled the rope it would change the time of day but at the end he had pulled it to many times and it had broke

2. I think it was like if the guy had pulled the rope it would change the time of day but at the end he had pulled it to many times and it had broke

3. I think the man shouldn’t have pulled the string more because he didn’t know what it was and where it had come from.If you found a string in the air would you start pulling it ?

4. I think that you should’ve left it alone after you discovered what it could do, because it might have not just done that. He could have ended up somewhere, stranded. I personally would have pulled the rope twice, and then, realising what it could do, probably run away. My question is, however, do others see it as the time changing from day to night, or do they not remember that it was even day (so only the person who pulls it is aware of this rapid change)?

5. This film shows that the man in it is vert curious, but it also shows how carried away curious people can get. I have mixed feelings about this film.

6. 1. the man look’s tired and he look’s like he has been walking and not finding anything so he is disappointed.
    2. i think he will climb the rope and see where it leads but he keeps on falling down again.i would climb a bit because i would be curious, but if i was getting no where i would get down.
    3.i think he should not pull the rope again because maybe if the rope disappears then he would be stuck in the dark and would be alone and would not be able to get help he could also be travelling to another dimension when he pulls the rope and if it disappears then he is stuck in an other dimension. i think the rope will fall down.
    4.i think it is quite important because it makes you notice how he is breathing so like if he is really worried maybe it would be quicker and if he if happy and calm then slower.their might be big loud sounds at the end where the rope falls.
    5.to put us in the persons shoes to feel what they feel.it changes it because if you had silence then you would not get the film as much.

7. I do not like the character because it was obvious that he would break the switch, it made the plot predictable.

8. I think that the power station in the background is relevant to the story because I think it represents that things can change. I also think that the man pulling the switch is very stubborn because he was so focused on the switch that he completely forgot about the pros and cons of the switch.

1. Very interesting point Honor. Could you tell us more about the significance of the power station and change?

9. I think the man in the film gets greedier, and greedier, until he has pulled the rope so many times that it stops on one of the places, which is, unfortunately for him, the opposite place to where he wanted to be/started off.

10. Din the Light switch turn off the whole Worlds light or just his country’s light ?
    What din the bucket at the end of it have to do with anything ?
    Where was the scene set ?

11. Hi, this is my writing project:

Cara is 11 years old and lives in the city with her parents. Cara has lots of friends and a has a kitten called Mittens. She likes snow and winter weather, so decides to take a walk to the top of a hill. She reaches the summit of the hill and looks around, only to see nothing else apart from the snowy ground. She bends down and a spark of red catches her eye. Curious, Cara reaches her hand out toward the the red spark and pulls it up and out of the snow. Red tassels come into view and Cara soon sees that they are attached to a long, winding rope. She stands up and tilts her head to the sky. The red rope leads high into the towering sky and Cara secures her hand around the tassels of the rope. She walks forward, swinging it as she goes, and then stumbles. The world around her transforms into a dark and mysterious landscape. Cautiously, Cara pulls on the rope again, returning her to her starting place. Realising what power the rope has, Cara tugs it relentlessly. After a few more pulls, the rope transformation between worlds stops. Desperate, Cara tugs with all her might. But it’s no use! After one final pull, Cara looks up. What she sees astonishes her, and suddenly the rope is falling at Cara’s feet. Cara realises she is trapped in this odd world and crumples to her feet in despair.

1. Super account Matlida. Your story gives us an insight into the thoughts and motivation of the main character that we can only infer from the film.

12. I think the man was surprised at first and then thought the rope was a toy and kept on pulling it and then when the rope was pulling day and night and day and then night it stoped at night the man couldn’t pull to go back to day. Then he yanked the rope and the whole rope was going down, the man was so so so surprised.

13. I think that the red dangly thing is a switch that makes it night and day. But then the man becomes too curious and uses it too much, so it stops working and it falls. I think that the moral of the story is not to take risks

14. I think that the sound is very effective and adds more of the feelings it gives u.For example a horror or sad movie, if u watch a horror/sad movie in mute it wont be scary or sad.I think that Sound gives a lot of feelings.I thought that if he pulled the rope again, the rope would get stuck and he would be stuck in the dark place and when i carried on i realised my prediction was correct and so if i could change anything about this video i would change how predictable it was.I think the director has a cool idea too have a switch for day and night but how he got stuck in the night was a bit too predictable.If i was the man i would probably pull the rope once then pull it back then run off and tell someone about it.The setting of the film is a cold and poluted place which doesnt look very nice but when he pulls the rope and it goes to a dark place it has towers and lights so to be honest i dont really know if its a different world or night.

1. Thank you Erin. I think you’re right watching a horror film without sound would make it less frightening. What kind of sounds do horror or comedy films usually have?

15. I think the man does not like the city that is in the background so he goes on walks to get away from the stinky air.
    I think the man is going to try and pull it down because I think he is going to climb it and he wants to see if it is stable enough for him to climb and I would probably get one of my friends and climb it with them.
    I don’t think he should because I think if he pulls it too much it will fall and he will be stuck in day time or night time.
    very important because you can’t really see his expressions without sound and the sounds would probably be him gasping because he was surprised and scared.
    the sound makes it more dramatic and easier to read his expressions.
    I think they made good decisions because I think the movie has a morel and i think it is don’t be too curious otherwise something bad could happen.
    i would put more people in it and a different setting.

16. This short movie has an interesting climax because it had a good twist when the rope turned off. This movie shows that people who are given lots of responsibility sometimes they handle it.

17. I think he is bit greedy and selfish he wants power. And its also a common error because he might just be curious or wants to know what it is so when he pulls the rope it turns to night or day so he has power.

1. Thank you Poppy. Have you seen the first film we shared Arctic Circle? I wonder if you can see similarities between the two films.

18. 1) We learnt that the man was a curious kind and, the film setting was in a cold and snowy place. It also looked a bit like he was standing on a cliff or hill.

2) As the film is called dangle I thought that he might climb it like a gym rope. I would personally intend to climb it and see where it came from ( if I could climb it.)

3) If the man was to pull it again he would probably turn it back to day as it looks like a light string /switch.Tje man should probably not pull it again , since it is like a light switch if you pull to many times it could break( like the one in my bedroom.)

4) Well the sound shows a type of feeling like it could Show an intensive time or calm music and when he finds the rope the music sounds a bit like a ‘ what is that.’

5) At the end it should be lots of intence /worrying music since he can’t turn it on. The music gives a kind of feeling of it was a horror film it would give out a scary kind of music.

6) Yes he should have just left it since it was a very suspicious rope and it caused the light to disappear. It would have left it after I understood it turned out the lights.

19. The film was very exiting and I wanted to know what happened next when I paused it. It was interesting and made me wonder a lot about what could happen next if there was a second part. I enjoyed it a lot and I would watch it again.

20. The man likes the out doors
    It is a cold day
    He lives in a industrial country side
    He is angry about the factory settlement

21. 1. The setting on the film was a very cold day and there was snow on the ground. He has come from the city
    2. The man might climb up. I would swing on it.
    3. No because something bad might happen, it might break.
    4. Sound has helped as you can hear the click of the light switch, the noise of the whistling wind. Without it, it wouldn’t be as dramatic.
    5. The director has added the sounds to give more tension and for interest.
    6. I would have two characters if I did it and I would set it in the city with people crowding around watching.

22. We start our story with a snowy cityscape and a young boy named James Anderson. He was 12 years old and on Christmas Day 1992 decided to do something exciting, in the end he climbed to the top of a large hill named the white hill especially in the middle of winter. On one side the north end a large power plant which supplies the city of Terris of most of its power and electricity on the other side the city of Terris itself he walked on through the wood, as he walked on he saw something very odd. It was a large rope scarlet in colour with a gold band at the bottom with a complicated tassle on the end, he decided to investigate the rope. The rope was, it turned out extremely long and thick he tugged and everything went dark he quickly decided to tug again he quickly left the rope to open his christmas presents

23. 1A)what do you learn about the man and the setting of the film? The man is curious and adventurous. The film is set in a cold and snowy town.
    2A)What might the man do? He might pull the rope.
    2B)What would you do? I would walk away from the rope; it is none of my business.
    3A)Should the man pull the rope again? No, he should not.
    3B)What might happen? The rope might break and plunder the earth into eternal darkness.
    4A)How important has sound been up till now? Not very important.
    4B)What sounds might accompany the end of the film? The sound of angry people.
    5A)Why might the director have added the sound he does? To add effect.
    5B)How does sound change the film? It adds an effect.
    6A) Do you think he made the right choices? Yes, in most of it.
    6B)Is there something that you would do differently? Not really. I liked it the way it is.

Writing task!
    On a cold winter’s day a elderly woman was going for a walk.On her way she stopped at the shops and bought herself a Cadburys chocolate bar. As she walked out of the she took a small bite out of her chocolate bar but instead this time the usually sweet taste was replaced with a bitter taste which lingered in her mouth. She continued the walk until she saw a rope hanging from the sky! The elderly woman whose name is Rita did not touch it. It scared her.

24. The sound is very necessary to make a scary image in your brain. I also like how the rope is supported by nothing, which is amazing. I like his first reaction to the rope, its funny and accurate.

25. One day a man was wandering around when he saw a red rope dangling in mid- air, he Thought “this looks suspicious I think I should call the police”. When the police arrived, they said “pull it sonny.” So, he did it did nothing so the police said “burn it sonny.” So, they did up it went in flame like a snake on fire it flopped to the floor and blew up leaving a black hole the police got sucked in but the man lived to tell the tale and that is what I told you right now …

26. My thought is, what bit of the sky is the rope hanging from? But other than that I think it’s a great short film. And it’s very creative. And it’s original.

27. I liked the story and the anticipation of what will happen next.I also liked the sound which was slightly eerie and the concept of an enormous rope hanging from the sky.The idea was a bit simple for me and so i found it not that engaging and that i lost interest two thirds of the way through.

28. What does it mean on the power point when it says watch the rest of the video,where the director explains his choices?

29. I don’t like the man because first he doesn’t know what the rope does and then he pull’s the rope and it becomes the night, then he get’s shocked for a minute and after that he get’s to excited and then he keep’s on doing it. And in the end the man broke the whole thing by pulling it too much.

30. I think the man pulled the string because he was curious and after he pulled it he must of thought it was so cool he kept on pulling it and did not think what would happen if he pulled it too much. In my opinion I say that it is better with sound because it gives it more meaning, the person who watches it can feel more emotions. If I was the man I would only pull it twice because I would not know what will happen if I pull it multiple times.

31. I think at first he did not want to pull the rope but out of curiosity he had to know so he pulled it.

I think i would have done the same thing.

32. The man in the films seems to be curious and quite playful. I think the setting is in Canada, on the edge of a big city where there are factorys. There seems to be lots of wildlife on the hillside because we hear many birds.
    Sounds of birds have been used when it’s daytime and the sound of wind at night or when it becomes dark. I thought a pot of gold might fall to the ground when the man pulled the rope, but a bucket falls so i imagine the clashing sound of metal.
    The director might have chosen these sounds because they create atmosphere and are quite simple. The sound builds up to make it more dramatic and in the end the sounds from the bucket are unbearable, really loud and too many of them.

1. Thank you Leon. Yes it’s interesting to speculate on what else might have happened when the rope was pulled.

33. 1) The man seems to like walking and he is inquisitive.The setting is a hilly park near an industrial estate.
    2)The man will probably climb the rope.I would walk away to not take any risks.
    3)It may have a certain number of uses and when all are used it permanently stay dark.But it is his choice to take a risk,I would say no, he would most likely say yes.
    4)The sounds have added to the atmosphere,I wasn’t aware of there being much of a difference until I switched the sound off.The sound at the end of the video may of been stronger winds than before.
    5)The sound changes the film by making it sound like the man gets anxious and people are coming to find him.The sound may have been chosen because it adds to the atmosphere.(the wind gets stronger when it is dark as well)

34. 1:15: We learn that the man lives in a city which is covered in snow in the first minute and fifteen seconds.
    1:52: I think the man will attempt to climb up or pull the rope. Personally, I wouldn’t climb it as there could be something dangerous at the top and I could let go and fall down by accident, but I would pull it to see if it does anything.
    3:10: I think the man should pull the rope again to make it brighter, but not pull it any more times after that as something bad could happen. I think that the obvious thing that would happen would be for the rope to continue to follow the pattern and make it bright again, however considering the nature of the film I think something could go wrong.
    Remainder of the film without sound: I’m not sure sound has been the most important to the film up to this point as it is quite easy to tell what is going on without it. I think there would be clicking sounds as the man tries to pull the rope, accompanied by sounds of buzzing, and a loud crumpling sound when the rope collapses.
    Ending with sound: I think the director added the sounds of the people getting increasingly angry to show that the man’s actions are having more and more effect, and it makes more sense that the man runs away from the rope as someone has clearly found him. The sound at the very end makes it more clear that the flashing light is in fact a helicopter, chasing the man.
    I couldn’t find the part of the video where the director explains his choices, so I can’t answer the next one, sorry.

(I’ll post my story in a future comment.)

1. Hi Robin, I think you sum up the impact of the distant sounds at the end of the film very well. Thank you.

35. I think the man is greedy and he should of only pushed it once and he might of been curios but still should have not done it as many times. The sound were very cool because it was kind of like reality if that actually happened in my opinion I think he was selfish. And the thing that made it exiting was the pauses when he pulled and when he let it go.

36. I think the man gets a bit too carried away with pulling the cord, and thinks he is a bit like god and has the power to do anything. He does not think of the consequences his actions could have. He breaks the cord, leaves the people in the dark, and does not take responsibility for his actions.

37. Here’s my story:

Once, not too long ago, there lived a little girl named Lillie. Lillie lived in a town with many factories and polluted air, and she HATED it. All she wanted was to be at one with nature. That’s why, one snowy Thursday, she did something that changed everything for her town.
    It was 7:30, and Lillie had just got dressed. She opened her curtains to see what the weather was like- though the factories created so much smoke she doubted she’d be able to see the sun. However, when the curtains were drawn back, she was overjoyed! The plants and trees were covered with fresh snow! This was the perfect chance to be at one with nature. Lillie bolted down the stairs, put on her boots and her coat, and ran up the hill to the highest point in her little town.
    At the top of the hill, she could see everything- the old church, the school, and the place her mum went to work. Seeing her home like this made even the factories look nice. But there was no time to sit around looking at the view. It was snowing- she had to make the most of it!
    Lillie had so much fun making snow angels and snowmen that she almost didn’t notice the rope. If she had continued playing, everything would have been fine, but she didn’t. She had been playing for over half an hour now, and got up to go home, but before she went down the hill, she saw something in the sky. It looked like a plume of smoke, only solid. She ran towards it, only to find out it was a rope!
    Lillie had never been good at rope-climbing in PE, so this was the perfect way to practise. She jumped up onto the rope, but was surprised to see that it made a clicking sound. She looked around. The town had been engulfed in darkness, as if it had become night-time! With this rope, Lillie had power over when different animals came out, over when people went to sleep- she had power over time in this town! She pulled the rope again, and, sure enough, it went back to being 8:00 in the morning. This was fun!
    Lillie was no longer curious, and now just wanted to mess with people. She kept pulling the rope, over and over, becoming more excited every time, until she heard a faint buzzing noise. She pulled the rope again to revert back to daytime one last time. It didn’t work. At the bottom of the hill, lights could be seen going on, and people could be heard getting increasingly angry. In the distance, Lillie could see a helicopter coming towards the hill.
    Towards her.
    She ran and ran and ran, the screaming and shouting of angry townsfolk getting louder and louder, until finally, she was home.
    But the rope stayed forever broken. There was no way to revert the town’s time back to day.
    So, whether you are reading this in the morning, the afternoon or the evening, the town is still in an everlasting slumber, all because of one girl who was a little too curious.

The End, hope you liked it! =^.^=

1. Fabulous story. I like the way you’ve used the setting of the film to introduce the concept of pollution etc. I think there could be a powerful story connected to this idea.

38. When he touches the metal he goes to space and when he touches the metal bit on the pole he goes back to the place he was in so it must mean that the metal bit on the pole has some kind of power.

39. 1) I know the man was having a peaceful time walking in the snow when there was a rope and he was curious what it might do.
    The setting is in winter in a polluted with lots of factories.

2) I think the man will tug the rope a few times and then try to climb up it.
    I would just leave it alone and tell some people that i trust or just ignore it.

3) I think he should NOT pull the rope again because he is not thinking it through and what the consequences might be.
    I think eventually it will fall because he is pulling it too hard.

4) I don’t think that the sound in this is very important because first of all there is not any speech and secondly all he does is walk up a snowy hill then finds a rope and then pull it so it doesn’t really need sound.
    At the beginning i think there should be peaceful and relaxing music ten at the end i think there should be cliffhanger music.

5) Because i think if it didn’t have any sound (or music) it might just be a little bit boring.
    The sound does change the film because you can try and guess whats going to happen depending on the sounds.

6) I think he made the wrong choice about pulling the rope because he didn’t think about what could happen.
    I would’ve just left it there for someone else and see if it would effect me.

40. 1. I think the Man was walking up a hill trying to get a really nice view but then he saw something that made him wonder what it was .
    2. The Man might be a very curious Man ,so he might climb the rope . I would pull the rope to see if it can handle any weight and check how long the rope is in the sky but I wouldn’t climb it .
    3.The Man shouldn’t pull the rope again because in the previous clip the man was greedy and got a punishment so if the man somehow takes disinvantege of the rope their might be a punishment .
    4.The sound effects the clip quite a lot and I think the sound is important to this clip because when the rope fell or when the lights came on there could have been some relevant sounds that could of told you a bout the clip .
    5 .I think the director chose those kind of sounds to give impact on the clip .

41. I think the man should not have pulled the string because it broke.Consequently, It would not change into day time because the man pulled the string too hard. In this situation I would not have pulled the string. Instead I would have left it alone.

42. The man is going for a walk and there’s snow on the ground and in the distance is a city, which we later learn is Paris.

I think he is going to pull it because it looks so tempting and I would probably do the same.

Well he would probably need to bring the light back so he should pull it again, also because it might be quite confusing for other people. If the light went off to pull the rope again it would probably turn on.

I think you would hear the man laughing and you’d hear cars skidding and lots of shouting and noises like that.

The director probably adds sounds to show that there are loads of people getting annoyed and you can tell that by all the noise of people shouting and the car horns.

Sound helps you understand what’s going on because when he walks out of the scene it would be a bit strange without the sound, it might look like someone is coming after him because he looks behind his shoulder, you don’t know what’s going on because you can’t see anyone behind him. Sound would help that because you might hear foot steps or a dog barking near him, something like that.

I can’t find the comments from the director.

I’d probably just watch all the lights go on and listen to the sounds and if I heard someone was coming I’d hide behind a tree and wait till they are gone. If I knew them I’d come out.

43. MY STORY

One day Clara who is seventeen year old girl was going to watch the sunset on a hill after a very busy day and saw a scarlet rope hanging from the sky . She wondered what it was doing in the middle of nowhere and how it was hanging from the sky . At first she said to herself that it was none of her business so she should just walk away but then she just pulled the rope and then she found herself getting told of by her grandma which happened two weeks ago . The rope was still next to her when she was getting told of (which was two weeks ago) so she pulled the rope again and she was back on the hill .She said to herself that this rope (when pulled) must be able to take her to the past so since her Mum died she decided to pull the rope again and see her Mum.She pulled the rope and in a blink of an eye she was cuddling with her Mum while sipping hot chocolate but before her Mum had time to say why there was a rope next to her Clara pulled the Rope and she was back on the hill . Just then Clara remembered that she always wanted to be in a gang in a her school and the only way to get in is to show one of the members of the gang something really cool . So she called Lia who is one of the gang members and told her to come . After ten minuets Lia came and Clara showed her the rope and pulled the rope and they were in a big hall filled with people waiting for Lia and Clara to sing a song which happened a month ago in school. Clara noticed that the rope wasn’t’t next to them and she quickly told Lia what had happened in her ear and they were both terrified because now they will have to do their exams for secondary school and their GCSE’S all over again !!!

1. Hi Daliah. I really enjoyed the opening of your story. It reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood with the Grandma and a warning.

44. I think the man pulled the rope too hard. Consequently, it broke and it would not change to day time. In this situation, I would not have pulled the rope. Instead, I would have left it alone.

45. Writing task!

In December, a few years ago, there lived a boy called Jacob.He was a very curious boy with interest in everything but most of all he loved history.His two favorites were dinosaurs and Egypt mythology.One day,his mum decided for Jacob to go for a run.Jacob rarely does much exercise he just stays inside and reads more an more and more about his two favorite topics.He normally just likes to correct books and read them at the same time.This time he was going for a run(not that he wanted to). Once they had left the house, Jacob wondered where they were going.”Mum? Where are we going because its winter and there’s snow the ground so we cant be going too far.” “Were just going to the snowy mountain over there darling.” Jacob saw the mountain but also a thin something but couldn’t quite make out what it was.He could not stop thinking about that mysterious thing dangling from the sky. After 5K of running they decided to have a break .Jacobs mum was pretty exhausted after the run so she sat down cafe whilst Jacob played in the local park. Actually, Jacob lied to his mother instead he was going to that peculiar thing that he wanted to investigate and see if it did anything bizarre. At the top of the snowy hill there it was.A rosy rope going all the way up to who knows where.With golden stripes all the way to where the rope ended.He’s feet were glued to the floor not knowing what to do.Braver than ever before,he went closer and closer until he was only a couple of centimetres away.Then before he knew it he pulled it…

46. I think the man did not really think ahead of what might happen and was selfish and greedy in a way. Don’t push your luck!