Week 6: Vermeer “The Guitar Player”

Hi all,

Here is another famous painting from the Kenwood House collection for you to explore; Vermeer’s “The Guitar Player”.  Work through the PPT and share your thoughts, writing and pieces of art below.

KENWOOD, THE IVEAGH BEQUEST “The Guitar Player” by Jan VERMEER (1632-75). IBK 962.

34 thoughts on “Week 6: Vermeer “The Guitar Player”

1. I thing that that painting must have been painted by a professional painter, and that Vermeer “The guitar player” must have been a professional guitarist.

2. I think the guitar looks like a banjo and I think she is distracted by a pigeon that flew through the window.

3. dear diary,
    today was most peculiar,i was playing my guitar when i suddenly heard the doorbell ring.I wondered who it could be!

4. Today i was playing guitar in my grey room, my mum opened my door and i was happy to see my mum was there smiling at me. I felt sad to not be playing my guitar. My mum told me that my dinner was ready.

5. Dear diary,
    I was playing my guitar in my grey room, feeling the music vibrate through my body, when there was a scream downstairs in the dining room. I felt that I had to abandon my music and investigate. I was wondering what could be happening when I heard footsteps running up the stairs …

6. Dear diary,
    Today I was playing a tune on my beautiful guitar. Then suddenly I got distracted. I saw a
    misshapen figure at the window. I was so surprised I nearly dropped my guitar. Then it vanished. I looked out of the window in wonder – what was that thing, where did it go?

1. Thank you Bela. By ending your entry with a question it involves the reader in the thoughts of the character.

7. Dear diary,
    today I was playing my guitar for my Aunt’s wedding and it was a beautiful wedding. It was filled with lilies and daffodils and when my Aunt walked into the room, everyone looked like they were wearing shabby clothes compared to my Aunt’s gown.

8. Dear Diary
    I was bored and distracted, there was a fox sniffing around our beautiful garden .He was picking at the flowers, mother would be annoyed she loved her roses . She wouldn’t let anything get near them, I was going to tell mother but I just sat there watching the fox.I realised that I really like foxes.

9. Dear diary ,
    I love my guitar . While I was playing my favourite tune I looked out the window and there was a man standing in the dim moonlight . As quickly as he had appeared he disappeared . I was annoyed that I had got distracted it was probably just the gardener .

10. When I looked at her expression it was hard to know but then I zoomed in very close and saw in my mind what she was feeling in her brain “curiosity.”Then I thought about the guitar and I looked at her face again and saw that she had one eyebrow up.To me the eyebrow meant that she is asking “eeeeeeerrrrr is this right.”My theory is that maybe she was being taught how to play the guitar.

11. Dear diary,
    Today I was playing my lovely beautiful guitar. When suddenly my cupboard started shaking. I was very disappointed to be disturbed whilst playing my guitar. but I was also very intrigued to see what was In it. little by little the doors on my cupboard slowly edged open and to my surprise…

12. dear diary ,
    today i played my guitar
    with the sun on my face
    and it was very pleasing
    then out of the window
    i saw my mum she was
    bringing some meat from
    the village and that made me feel hungry
    so i went down stairs and asked if she could
    help make dinner .

13. Dear diary,
    Today I was doing some last-minute practice for my friendly guitar teacher to come and teach me some more graceful songs for me to practice. My favorite type of music is sweet, soothing songs that I play when I am sad to cheer me up. Anyway, I was playing when I heard a sudden voice from the depths of the deep dark shadows of my room. He said, ” You’ve learned how to play that song perfectly Lilya!” I replied”Thank you Bob!”(Bob is my guitar teacher.) I was very happy to see Bob because I loved to learn new songs to play. I asked him what my next song was and he said it was a surprise until after you showed me what you’ve practiced. I said, “I can’t wait for it, let’s get started!” So then we had our lesson. “that was my favorite song yet!” Bob replied, ” it is mine as well!”

14. Dear diary,

Today was a busy day. Mary dressed me in fine satin and silk because the Spanish Ambassador was going to meet us at 3:30. I wore my favourite yellow coat with ermine trim. and my best pearl necklace.

Last time, the Ambassador gave me a lovely Spanish guitar, and I’ve been practising ever since. When the Ambassador arrived at our house, my parents rushed out to greet him along with two guards and three servants.

I made my way down the stairs to the grand living room, where the Ambassador and my father were discussing politics. Servants hurried around the room like hurricanes, fetching food and drink. As I entered, the Ambassador and my father stopped talking and I played a tune that I had heard from a passerby in the street, but changed the lyrics a bit to Spanish. and I cheekily involved the Ambassador’s pet parrot in it.

Once I was finished, they both started clapping, and I gave them a mischievous smile and wink, and the Ambassador gave me more books to read.

Once he had left, I eagerly started on my new books.

1. Thank you Thomas. Like Valery’s post above you seem to be spotting clues in the painting that this girl may be wealthy.

15. I think she is looking at her mother walking past her because maybe she is wearing a very expensive necklace or ring.

1. Well spotted Valery. She is wearing expensive clothes. Does this tell us something about the girl?

16. Today, after my studies, I played my guitar practising for the performance tonight.
    I am looking forward to it but I feel a bit nervous.
    My mummy burst into the room to say that everyone had arrived. I took one big breath and picked up my guitar and walked down to the drawing room and greeted my family and began to perform.

17. Dear diary,
    This morning I was playing my guitar when a couple of birds flew by me window. I looked away from the guitar and saw them land in an apple tree in my garden. I kept staring at the bird thinking about what it would feel like to fly then I remembered my guitar practice and looked away from the birds.

18. She is thinking something quite unusual is going on – but she quite likes it. Maybe a man is playing along with her or she is in a guitar club and is trying to work out how to play something. She is feeling happy.

19. I think it was her first lessen on guitar that’s why she looks so nervous and I like how simple it is.