Week 7 View of London

Hi all,

Please review the PPT below and share your thoughts, writing and creative responses below.

KENWOOD THE IVEAGH BEQUEST “View of London from Highgate” c.1775 by Robert CRONE (c.1718-79) IBK 1154

30 thoughts on “Week 7 View of London

1. P1

The medows are filled with lush green grass.The trees are filled with dark green leaves and light brown trunks.And the people of the town where scrubbing there clothes clean. Hutching up in there cabins.
    P2
    The wind blowing in the children’s faces the leaves flying every where. Children stomping in the leaves on the way to school. The adults dropping there children of at school.

2. Painting
    Swaying trees in the blowing wind, cloudy skies. The laundry women doing their jobs whilst the painters look for somewhere to paint. Beautiful meadows and a City view.

School
    Loud noises of children screaming, sunny and bright my friends are playing in the playground. Bikes ride outside, home is not far away.

3. In the painting, you cant see much of London, (tall buildings, roads) you can just see fields. The area near my school, has lot’s of roads, and on Holloway road, there are some tall buildings.

1. Thank you Theo. Some of the fields you see in the painting would have been where Islington stands now.

4. London 1775

As I sit up on my bed, my eyes weary, I can still make out the outline of London sleeping in the darkness. The moon enlightening the house like a spotlight. I tumble out of bed, groaning. I hate early mornings.

Whilst I was running to school, I glanced over my shoulder as the trees close by hang over me. Next up a field, one many I had to pass.

Tufnell Park 2020

Because I am new here I don’t have many friends, but every day I get more familiar with this friendly neighbourhood, the green parks and the happy people. It is seemingly easy to fit in than my old hometown. I sit by the pond at the skateboard park and watch the fish darting in and out of weed. They look like they are having fun, just like me.

1. Hi Dash,

These are two wonderful accounts, creating a contrast between the past and present. If you attended a school in 1775 you would have been born into a rich family as the majority of children worked.

5. LONDON

Vast expanse
    Countryside
    Limited buildings
    Pre industrial

SCHOOL

Houses
    Families
    Parks
    Cars/Buses
    Busy
    Pollution

6. Painting
    wide green open spaces, washer women cleaning and drying, little gusts of wind swaying the branches in the trees, all is quiet as painters paint.

school
    children buzzing with excitement, the ringing of the bell as children’s go to the stairs, children screaming at play time, tired children at the end of the day.

7. London 1775

A loud cry from downstairs means it is time for school, so I get on my biggin, and look forward to a nice leg of mutton for my breakfast. I wolf down my food and daydream about one nice day in Paul’s Cathedral School. The sun shines on the vast, green fields ahead and I set out on another thirty-minute journey into the city.

Tufnell Park, Islington 2020

I wake up in my comfortable family apartment, just before my alarm clock goes off. I turn off the screeching chime, and run down the stairs, ready for my first day of school in a new neighbourhood. I give my mum a kiss goodbye and rush to school with a peanut butter and jam sandwich hanging out of my mouth, eager not to be late. I can see joyous children climbing trees, playing in the park, and I imagine how good my new life is going to be.

The painting

Cloudy day.
    Excitement rushing through the air.
    Rich families in carriages, trundling down the gravel path in the distance.
    Washer woman, hanging wet clothes to dry in the morning sun.

The school

Hyper children, hanging out on the stairs.
    Screams and shouts, echoing through the air.
    Annoyed teachers, hustling classes through the main doors.
    Another day of endless work.

8. List of words to describe London in the painting:
    Fields, farmlands, St. Paul’s Cathedral and church towers.

List of words to describe London around Yerbury School:
    A few parks, houses, buildings, big roads, cars, and bikes. People would not do their in laundry the park.

A description of London in the painting:
    People are doing laundry in public spaces around Highgate. In the distance you can see St. Paul’s Cathedral and lots of church towers. Between Highgate and the city are open fields with farms but there are no big roads just paths and tracks. There is no modern technology in the painting, everything is very green and the air looks much fresher than air today.

A description of London around Yerbury School:
    There are lots of parks for young children to play in and other schools and nurseries. There are many houses and flats. The roads near my school are fairly flat and they are very quiet. A lot of the streets have trees planted on the pavements. There are quite a few shops, restaurants and fast food places.

9. London is very busy. People say London is very rich. The city sky is blocked by tall buildings and pollution. The weather is usually cloudy but how would we know, we can’t see the sky. However, London has some of the most beautiful parks and packed zoos. London is an international landmark where many tourists enjoy visiting.

Green, big, wide, social, beautiful,
    spacious, colourful, selfless, calm,
    realistic, friendly.

The area near my school is very calm. It has three parks near it. The houses are terrace houses. The roads aren’t that busy but from time to time, very fast cars drive by.

Calm, friendly, eco friendly,
    child friendly, a lot of children,
    nature orientated, medium size.

10. LONDON
    Before the Industrial Revolution, London had very few buildings and lots of fields . The air was clean and fuel powered transport was not invented . The only way to get around apart from walking was to go on a horse and cart so the very basic roads were only for horse and carts not cars. In the painting, you can see the view from the top of a hill and it has more countryside than city. You can see the familiar St Paul’s Cathedral that still stands today.

SCHOOL
    The area around school is full of houses the air is not very polluted and there is a very nice community . Buildings are everywhere . There are lots of activities to do . You can do lots of walks around the place .

11. View of London
    ——————
    London’s white buildings in the painting are far away, distant. There are washerwomen in a small wooden village. It probably hasn’t been thriving for long.
    Trees cut down to plant crops, and there is a cave nearby. Most of the noise comes from the village next to the cave, but maybe there’s a storm coming along.

School June 2020
    ——————
    Sudden rain. Sunshine.
    Red brick homes close together.
    Squirrels search for nuts

in Foxham Gardens.
    Some kids at school and some not.
    In my PJs, still.

12. Painting

There are green leaves and swaying trees. The hills have grass and mud. The houses are dark with red roofs. The scene is very tranquil and calm.It is serene.

School

The children run around and play on the concrete playground and climbing frame. The cars drive past school. There is lots of noise.

13. London:

Houses
    Smoke
    Rubbish
    Pushing
    Shoving
    Fights

School:

Friendly
    Classes
    Play time
    Smiling
    Happy
    Trees
    Fake grass

14. 1. About the painting ‘View of London’.
    It is a very nice painting, it is also very well thought out, lots of hard work went into the painting. There clouds look like there’s a storm coming. The trees are thin like twigs; not like today’s trees. The washerwomen are very detailed, and you can see a faint chair in a shadow. There are excellent Shades of green describing fields, which are all green – grass and trees; where are where are the animals? The view of London is a very carefully painted picture. You can see the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral. There are so many churches! Many more than 14! London is painted very lightly because it’s in the distance.

2. About Yerbury and its environment.
    Yerbury isn’t in the picture because it wasn’t built then. There’s nothing to see because there’s loads of farmland yerbury is properly in farmland as you can see London isn’t fully bilte there only one or two different houses around there it is bareness over there.
    Yerbury now is in the city, built up with brick. It has green, blue and yellow concrete. With three chimneys it also has class rooms for six years and reception and other rooms for staff food etc. There are roads now and a few fat, tall trees right next to yerbury. There are cherry trees as well, that blossom in the spring. There is a park called Whittington park and a lot of houses next to it.

15. Paragraph 1
    The greeny grass and trees swaying so gentally. Its so old and cloudy. Loads of people washing clothes. And all the hills far away.

Paragraph 2

1. Paragraph 2

The wonderful learning and playing we make new friends to. Its so fun when we learn and play all day in Pakeman Primary