Week 3: Flatlife

Dear all,

We hope you enjoy the third film: Flatlife.

Please share your thoughts, play scripts and any other responses with us below.

41 thoughts on “Week 3: Flatlife

1. I loved watching flat life because it’s really funny and silly.
      My favourite person is the man in the vest because he’s always annoying the painter

1. I’m glad you enjoyed it Jemima. It is funny watching the consequences of individual actions.

1. I think the one with the TV that shows a rocket is mean to the painter because when the painter came in his room he turned the motorcycle painting around to the painters painting. And he knocked down the painters painting because of the hammering of the painter . and the painter is very kind to everyone.

2. the old man

I was shuffling some card’s waiting for marge to come and play with me. I heard a knock on the door and opened it to see marge I let her in and gave her her cards. A little while later she had to go so I started to make a house of card’s. just as I was putting the last card on it fell down. I started again but the same thing happened. I turned my chair around and started watching a nature program about pandas. After a while it went fuzzy
    I tried changing the channel but it didn’t work so i hit it. That worked then it went fuzzy I hit it again that happened again and again. Then it set on fire so I chucked it out of the window. Then i carried on playing cards. THE END

1. Thank you for the accurate recount Keir. I wonder if in your writing you could provide details the film omits such as how are the characters feeling?

3. I think that flat life is very interesting and also confusing. You can pick up a lot more details if you concentrate more however you can pick up nearly just as much if you do not. I realised that the different acts of the characters come from if they like the person they are speaking to. For example, I think that the man in the bottom left corner didn’t like the man above him, I think this because when he gave him the broom, he did not wait for the man to walk away, and then shut the door he shut the door on him. I also think that you can tell which jobs the people had, I think there was an artist (top left), a couple who have retired (top right) and a handyman (bottom left). There are other details but I think that you can guess what they are doing.

4. I thought it was a great film with lots of things going on at the same time.When i was watching it i didn’t know where to look an who to look at because they where all doing different things but at the same time.To improve the film(in my opinion)instead of mumbling for speech i think they should say actual words.

5. 1.2
    2.wash her clothes
    3.his toolbox
    4.a rocket
    5.a vase
    6.because the painter in the other room is making one so maybe he made them
    7.drinking something
    8.playing cards
    9.because there maried
    10.anoyed

6. I think it’s very funny, and it really shows how people in a flat live! It shows how they get along, and how hard it is! There are ups and downs but I think in the and they are just all part of the flat family!

7. It was a funny and it simulates what living in a flat with thin walls would feel like.

1. I liked the fact that they have their own space but there still connected and everybody is doing different things.

1. Yes they are connected. It’s a film of cause and effect as each person’s actions have an effect on another.

1. Even though they have their own space they are still connected and their actions still affect the others.

8. I think it is about loud people who live in a apartment together and they are all trining to get along whith there lives but too of them keep on fighting.and they think that each of them are very loud

9. I thought it was funny they kept on fighting the one trying to hang up a picture and the one watching tv

10. 1. Two people are in the first scene.(Rank:4 I honestly thought there were 3 people but then I rembered that the Mechanic comes in later)
    2. She puts her clothes in the washing machine.(Rank:3 Well it was a bit harder but the u rember shes the only one with a washing machine so she is most likely to use it)
    3. A tool-box.(Rank:7 because it was hard to see what he was holding)
    4. A rocket in space.(Rank:2 It wasnt that hard at all because its quite memorable)
    5. A painting of a pot.(Rank:1 Easy because when I got told to watch carefully the first thing i looked at is what was he painting)
    6. Maybe the person that painted them (the person in the orange flat) painted them for everyone as a present.(Rank:1 He was painting one so it was obviosly him)
    7. Drinking something and whaking a broom on the ceiling.(Rank:1 This was easy to get because its one of the funnybits)
    8. Playing cards.(Rank:6 It was hard to remember wat they were doing because u were to focused on the broom and the banging)
    9. Maybe they are husband and wife?
    10. I think that the man in the vest feels anoyed with the artist because he keeps making noise when he is trying to watch TV.

11. oops…I sent it by mistake…
    10.The man in the vest is angry at the artist because he’s being too noisy.

I think question 9 was the hardest because you have to guess at how they know each other. There are lots of possibilities.
    .i think the an in the vest changed the painting because the artist painted it for him and the other people but he did not like it.
    . i think he suck it on the back of the painting so that he can change the painting quicker.
    . I think they think it is a nice painting.
    . So that he can knock on the ceiling to keep the artist quiet.

1. Interesting Astrid to consider which question is the most difficult. I suppose you have to guess although there are clues in the film to guide you.

12. There were 4 people.
    The first thing the lady does is put on the washing machine.
    The man in the vest puts his tool box in the cupboard.
    The man sees a rocket in space on he T.V.
    A picture of a pot is in each room.
    I think because the artist painted many and gave one to them.
    The man in the vest is drinking something.
    The man and woman are playing cards.
    They know each other because they live in different flats but the same building.
    The man in the vest is annoyed because the artist is banging on the wall a lot.

13. 1Two
    2She puts on the washing
    3His building tools
    4Rocket
    5Vases and a motorbike
    6Because they were a gift from the painter
    7Drinking beer
    8Playing cards
    9The man invited her over to play cards
    10He doesn’t really like him because he wants some quiet so he can watch tv. But the artist is trying to put his painting up and is making noise hammering a peg into the wall.

14. The washing woman

I had just put my washing on and then I decided to go to the flat upstairs.
    When I got there I found the man playing cards, personally I love cards, playing them, shuffling them and even opening the box there in! So anyway I asked if I could join in and obviously he didn’t know how good I was so he said “yes”. I was jolly happy about that. Until, I had to go and turn off my washing and call the man in the vest. It only took a minute to do and when he was done he just walked away! Finally, my washing had finished so I hung up my towel ,but as soon as I put it up I heard a bang by my window.
    I looked outside and realised birds were banging into my window ,so I turned my towel around. This is what really surprised me, when I had turned it around a panda banged into my window! As soon as possible I went to the artists flat it didn’t surprise me he was painting . I then just asked him to do a favour for me . He said yes and followed me , I asked him to paint a bird on my window, he was really confused with this so I explained and whilst he was doing that I went outside to get the birds and the panda to get off my balcony.After that, no more birds (or pandas) banged into my window.

THE END

1. Thank you Jemima for the recount of the action. I wonder if you could also give us an insight into the character’s thoughts that the film doesn’t provide?

15. I really enjoyed it, because there was always something going on, and it was often quite funny. Also, because there was no clear speech, you had to imagine what they were saying. The animation was great as well. Even though there were people going in and out of rooms all the time it was easy to follow. I could happily watch it a hundred times before i got bored.

16. I like it at the end when all the people switch rooms, so the mechanic goes in the
    washing room and the women goes in the mechanics room. The new rooms suit them better, because the mechanic is then in the room with the washing machine, so he can fix it.
    I also like the part where the old man and the mechanic start banging each others tvs. I think the bit where the mechanic destroys the artists’ painting is funny, but i think its boring to paint the same thing again and again.

17. I love flat life because it’s very funny and lots and hidden details.
    I think the person in the suit is a artist.
    I think the person wearing a scarf is a comedian or somthing like that.
    I think the lady wearing a blue top is retired.
    And I think the guy in the vest is a mechanic.

18. the old man was watching a documentary about pandas and then randomly a panda
    comes flying into a window.

my most liked person was the mechanic because all he dose is watch TV all most all day
    and disturbs the artist.

19. I really enjoyed watching flat life and I thought it was really funny! It shows how when you live in a flat, it’s very noisy and people get quite annoyed. There are lots of ups and downs of living in a flat and flat life really shows it.

20. My favourite part of flat life is when the man with the short sleeve t shirt smashes the TV and breaks Mr Cardi’s TV and Mr Cardi throws his TV out of the window.

21. 1. two people
    2.The lady puts the washing machine on
    3.The man pts his tool box in the cupboard
    4.The man sees a rocket ship
    5.There are pictures of pots
    6.The paintings might be the same because the man in the top left painted it for them
    7.The man is drinking a drink
    8.The man and the woman are playing with a match of cards
    9.because they are really good friends
    10.I think he feels annoyed

22. I liked this short film because of the humour and the fact that some of these things would never happen in real life (for example, a panda hanging off your balcony or your TV catching on fire). It also shows you what kind of friendships these people have, and how their thin walls aren’t exactly stimulating their relationships. My favourite person was actually the old man, because he was trying to have a peaceful day and weird things were repeatedly happening, like his television catching on fire – it wasn’t a good idea to throw it out the window, though – and his deck of cards falling apart as he places the last two. It was also quite funny that his painting broke before his deck on the second or third time; since when did a flimsy deck of cards have more durability than a painting?

1. Well spotted Anna. Yes the film does move towards more fantastical elements as it develops.

23. i liked the film because it was very funny and i felt very bad for the man who paints
    because the man in the vest kept on banging and at the very end all of them switched flats so things do not go wrong