Art 2: Landseer

Hi all,

I hope you enjoyed the “Old London Bridge” painting.

This week we’re exploring “Hawking in the Olden Times” by Sir Edwin Landseer painted in 1832.

Share your thoughts, writing and art with us below.

Week 2 landseer final from Michael Walsh

KENWOOD THE IVEAGH BEQUEST “Hawking in the Olden Time” c1831 by LANDSEER Sir Edwin (1802-73) IBK 911

43 thoughts on “Art 2: Landseer

1. I think that the falcons I saw were highly trained and the heron was having a hard time of it but it took a bit of time to catch the heron.

2. dear laurel and ava

I am waching hawking which is a sport
    I am enjoying it but did you know they used to sew the eyelids when they didn’t have hats

3. dear mum ,
    I was watching hawking where they put a mask on a falcon and then take it of and throw a piece of meet up in the air and the falcon goes and gets it.They do this to teach the falcon to hunt.

But at one point the falcon took down amassive bird I was horrified and disgusted

from Louis!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ben Nevis mountain
    Scotland
    1842
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    what I saw in the hawk and heron fight made me feel really scared. If I were a hawk or a heron I would run away and looking at them just made me shiver. The journey from the camp to the battle field was a long, cold boat trip and I could see the heron getting restless because the hawk was big and fierce. The battle was full of glory, it could go in the book of revolting rhymes. Everyone was silent and then the battle began. I wanted to cover my eyes but I had to stay put.

Yours faithfully

1. thank you for your letter Olivia. It’s interesting you chose Scotland as Landseer painted a famous painting which is in Scotland called “Monarch of the Glen”. If you look at the PowerPoint resource you can see a link to it.

5. 30 Reathworth Avenue
    Edinburgh

30 March 2020

Dear Sir,

I was watching a hawk and a heron fight today. It was really scary. The hawk nearly got the heron at the start . The birds had masks on there heads when they were carried out to fight . They were carried by a young man and apparently he was told that if he stole or hurt the birds, his hand would be cut of. It was really gory. In the end the hawk won.

Yours faithfully

Rory Heath

1. Thank you Rory for your letter. Hawking was seen as a sport so the challenge was to capture a bird like a Heron but not kill it. That’s why the man is waving a pigeon over his head to distract the hawk.

6. Dear Sir or Madam,

We left from Edinburgh at the crack of dawn yesterday.Today I had to watch a hawk and a heron fight. It was horrible. The hawk was very fierce. If I were the heron I would fly away without a backward glance. It’s very cold in the countryside. I can’t wait to get back home.

Your faithfully,

Jack (the character)

7. Castle Kenwood
    Servants quarters
    Scotland
    1831
    Dear Father
    I left from Scotland this morning feeling incredibly nervous. It wasn’t helping having a squawking falcon on the right of my aching shoulder ether. When I finally arrived after what seemed like days I met up with my horrible master and the rest of his army. I thought the hawking fight was much too violent for my liking. I can’t wait to come home and tell you more about it. See you in two days! Bye!

8. Castle Kenwood
    Servants quarters
    Scotland
    1831
    Dear Father

1. Fantastic Iris. Thank you for sharing. It is lovely to see everyone’s art. If you have time and are willing to share we’d love to see more examples from everyone.

I’m sure Lesley or Lucie from English Heritage will leave a comment on your art soon.

9. The Highlands
    Scotland

30 March 1832

Dear Fred,

It was freezing in the open countryside and my legs ache from the long horse ride and the walk to and from the hawking. I am still cold as I drink by the fire, writing to you.

I was sacred that hawks wouldn’t come back as the Prince was wilding waving the pigeon around. What a horrible sport. In the end, the heron died in a spiral of feathers and blood on the open cold countryside.

Kind Regards,
    Sam

10. Dear Sir,
    Today I was out on my horse, and I saw a hawk and a heron fighting. I felt very sorry for them. I also felt very scared watching them being injured. I really disapproved of it.

Your’s faithfully, Theodore

11. Dear Sir,
    Today I saw a hawk and a heron fighting. I felt very sorry for them. I also felt very scared seeing them getting injured. I really disapproved of it.

Your’s faithfully, Theodore.

12. Head Falconer
    Gleneagles
    Scotland

10th February 1852

Dear Edward,

I am writing to you to tell you of the weekend hunting we had in the Glens.

We arrived on Friday night and stayed in the castle, which was cold with large
    fireplaces to keep us warm. Got up early on Saturday morning and rode out with the falcons. It was quite windy and cold, my hands and feet were freezing.

We suddenly came upon a heron and one of the falcons was released, the falcon attacked the heron, bringing it to the ground.

It was exciting but slightly scary and not very nice for the heron.

Yours faithfully
    Johnny

13. Snowdonia
    Wales
    Monday 26th March 1836
    Dear Kate,
    Today I left the site to go hawking which is a popular sport involving hawks and their owners. The hawk’s face is covered so they don’t get distracted. While we were riding, we “met” a heron and the hawk attacked. I was overwhelmed and amazed (I decided to stay back). The heron survived but unfortunately had a bad wound.
    Write to you soon,
    Emilia.

14. Falcon Camp
    The highlands
    Scotland

30th of March 1831

Dear Muhammad,

I am writing to you because something significant happened today. We rode from the camp on our horses. 10 miles of riding, we did, out onto the rocking moors. Our falconer released the falcon because we were in sight of a big heron. It was amazing seeing the falcon attack that heron. The heron screeched its neck was craning to pack the falcon back. The falcon darted at it and its beak tore into its neck as the heron crashed to the ground. The falconer beamed in triumph!

Yours sincerely,

Alexander

1. Fantastic Alexander. Thank you for sharing. I hope others will be inspired by your bird drawing and share drawings too.

15. Dear Friends

Today I saw a ferocious battle between a falcon and a heron it was hard to look at.The falconer said it was just a sport but to me it seemed dangerous.The falconer had a hood for the falcon which the falcon wore when it was not training. When they took it off it immediately swooped up and clawed at the heron. I didn’t know what happened to the heron at the end.
    Yours truly, Rowan.

16. Falcon camp
    the high lands
    Scotland

30th March 1898

Dear Dillon,

Today i was out on my horse and I noticed 2 birds fighting, but the strange thing about it was that there was a man. That man looked as if he’d started this fight between a hawk and a heron. It looked as if the hawk was bleeding from the excruciating pecks of the ferocious heron. I thought it looked very horrible indeed to see two peaceful birds attack each other. I hate the thought of this sport commonly known as hawking. Why would you want to hurt a very peaceful bird? Have you every witnessed hawking before? If so what did you think of it? Let me know in a letter.

Love Paddy

1. Thank you for sharing Paddy. I like the way you used questions to end your letter. It draws in the reader.

17. Dear Sir or Madam,
    I witnessed a fight between a heron and a hawk today. It was very bloody and gorey. The heron stood no chance against that fighter. I could barely watch as it was so terrible. I don’t know why hawking is a sport as its not fun!
    Yours Faithfully

18. Dear sir,

today i came across a falcon and a heron fighting . i was realy scared i didn’t know what to do or what had happend . i could barely watch the fight all the blood made me screamish. i had a dout that the heron would win.